Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Woo-Hoo! The Notice and Note Signposts for Nonfiction Are Officially a Thing!


Yes, it's sad what gets me all excited, but this one's worth it.

Year before last, I found the Notice and Note Signposts:Strategies for Close Reading while looking for a way to add to my bag of reading strategies, especially since I teach kids for two years. It's absolutely awesome! It helps kids see, very clearly, what makes an event, idea, or even a phrase in a piece of text important. That's not an easy skill to teach, but it's one that's way valuable to our students. Seriously, it's worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/Notice-Note-Strategies-Close-Reading/dp/032504693X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466628755&sr=8-1&keywords=notice+and+note

So, when I found out that a version for Nonfiction reading was in the works, I made sure that Amazon would be sending me one on release day. And then life happened.

I skimmed it, but didn't take time to actually read it until this week. Yes, it's as useful as the first, and it isn't just an echo or a redux. The authors have given us a new and unique set of signposts (One is repeated from the original, but with a different take that fits nonfiction.) that will help kids question the text and understand what's important and why.
https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Nonfiction-Stances-Signposts-Strategies/dp/0325050805/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466628755&sr=8-2&keywords=notice+and+note

When it came time to use the original book in my classroom, I created a set of interactive notebook pages to make it easy for my kids to keep the information close all year. I put together a set for the nonfiction signposts, too.

Pin them so you can find them later! 
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Interactive-Notebook-Pages-for-the-Notice-and-Note-Signposts-2051575https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Interactive-Notebook-Pages-for-the-Notice-and-Note-Signposts-for-Nonfiction-2606657

Oh... here's a link to some free, beautiful, colorful bookmarks for the Fiction Signposts I printed for my kids this year. Found these at
Ladybug's Teacher Files Blog

Have fun getting to know the signposts!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lizzie,
    I am interested in your Interactive Notebooks on Fiction and Non-Fiction Literature. (Notice & Note) The link doesn't bring them up specifically in TPT. Can you help? Thanks very much! Anne Dickau

    ReplyDelete